Many beginners are surprised to discover that WordPress.com and self-hosted WordPress are actually two very different platforms. WordPress.org is the site for the self-hosted #wordpress website building software.
So let’s take a look at the differences between the two, because to make the most money with your blog it’s vital to choose the right platform.
WordPress is the original popular self-hosted website building software that is vital for #internetmarketing. It’s a free website building platform that anyone can use. It will be ready for you to install on whatever WordPress hosting service provider you choose.
Self-hosting means that you’re responsible for hosting your site. To do that, you simply pay for a WordPress hosting service, buy a domain name, and then WordPress is quickly installed onto your account. You can go directly to WordPress.org for more information about their platform, descriptions of their plugins, etc.
The #1 reason the highly successful bloggers are making money on-line, is because they have 100% control of their #blog to do the things needed to create the most income.
With self-hosted WordPress you can design your blog anyway you want, customize it as much as you need, and monetize it. After the short learning curve needed to master it, WordPress ends up being super easy to use.
Here’s why I recommend self-hosted WordPress for beginner bloggers who want to make money online:
- You can monetize your WordPress blog by selling digital or physical products and accepting credit/debit card and PayPal payments.
- You can do many other things to monetize your blog, like participate in affiliate programs or pay per click advertisements.
- Many reputable web hosting service providers cater towards WordPress.
- You have the ability to customize your site with free or premium WordPress plugins.
- Thousands of free and premium WordPress themes are available to choose from.
- Powerful tools like Google Analytics for SEO tracking are easy to use.
- You can build an online community around your website.
You are responsible for updates and it is important to do this to minimize the potential of cyber-attacks. You can easily update your WordPress site by simply clicking on the update button.
You are also responsible for backups, but it’s easy to do with a plugin that let you schedule automatic backups.
If you’re on a low budget, you can have your blog hosted for as little as $99 for 3 years of service. You always have to pay up front, so when they say $2.75 per month you’ll really pay $99 out of your pocket. But it’s well worth the cost.
WordPress.com is a free hosted platform and is a good choice for hobby bloggers who are not interested in making income. But you’re not visiting my site that. The free WordPress.com or their premium platforms won’t allow you to implement the most effective revenue creating strategies and tools.
The free WordPress.com limits you in these ways:
- They place their ads on all free blogs, and you don’t make a dime from them.
- If you don’t want their ads on your blog, then you can upgrade to a plan starting at around $36 per year.
- You cannot monetize your blog with their free blog service.
- You can use their advertising program called WordAds, but then you have to share the revenue with them. Why would you want to do that?
- You cannot upload plugins, unless you pay around $299 per year.
- Free blog users can only choose from a limited collection of themes.
- You cannot add powerful SEO tracking platforms with the lower packages.
As you can see, the WordPress.com hosting platform is quite limited, regardless of whether you’re using the free, personal, or even a premium plan. You are very limited to the ways you can make money, design your site, use tools, and analyze your results.
Click here to learn about the WordPress web hosting service I use to power this site: A2 Hosting
If you want to make the most money possible, then it’s best to use self-hosted WordPress. It gives you the freedom and flexibility to design and monetize your blog exactly the way you want. It allows you to take advantage of all the tools and strategies you’ll need to create the most income. WordPress.com does not allow you to implement the most effective methods of monetizing your blog!
With the WordPress control panel, themes, page builders, and custom plugins, you don’t have to be a web designer to create your site.
The only down side is you have to know how to use the WordPress control panel. Therefore, there is a learning curve and you’ll have to put the time in to understand how to use it.
If you already made the mistake of using the WordPress.com platform and want to switch to self-hosted WordPress… Yes, you can still do it!
If you want to know how to start a blog, you can click here to get my free guide: Step-by-Step How to Start a Blog to Make Money
To see the WordPress web hosting companies I recommend, click here to go to my Recommended Tools page.
You Can Do It Too!